Your front lawn is the first look of your home and serves as a welcoming refreshment to your guests and family members. Keeping your lawn fresh and green requires more than just normal gardening tools. It requires lawn fertilizers to help you maintain a healthy lawn with lush green grass without any empty patches.
Lawn fertilizers not just keep your grass green but also keeps away the dangerous weeds, and fills up any brown patches, or clumps of bare earth that can’t seem to grow. This implies that your garden is missing some important nutrients and using a lawn fertilizer best helps cope with the problem and will supply your garden with the missing nutrients.
Market is filled with different kinds of fertilizers and each works to nourish different types of lawns depending upon the location, climate, size, and land type of your lawn. You can figure the deficiencies in your lawn through getting your soil tested. Our team tested on different types of fertilizers, having different formulas, on lands with unique features and problems, and came up with a list of best lawn fertilizers to help you in picking the best for your lawn.
7 Best Lawn Fertilizers
Once you’re sure about the deficiencies in your ground and the other features of your lawn soil, the next step is to look for the suitable lawn fertilizer. The best lawn fertilizers on the market are discussed below and the problems they are capable of fixing, respectively.
1. Milorganite Nitrogen Lawn Fertilizer
The Milorganite slow release nitrogen fertilizer, as the name implies, is among the best fertilizers for its slow movement into the ground. The gradual release ensures proper and maximum absorption of all the nutrients into the roots of grass for the best results. The process is slow but the results produced are reportedly best.
This lawn fertilizer is not licensed as it contains phosphorus that poses a threat of getting absorbed in soil and may contaminate the groundwater, but it seldom happens owing to the slow release feature of the lawn fertilizer. The slow release makes sure that all the nutrients are fully absorbed in the roots of the grass making it an environmentally friendly fertilizer that poses nil danger to the environment.
The formula contains iron content that makes sure that your glass becomes greener and it also supports a healthy growth of roots without damaging other plants.
The best part is that it generates fertilizers from natural sources and does not contain any salt content, which means your soil will not get dry. The granular fertilizer is the top pick owing to its slow release and it keeps feeding nutrients for up to 10 weeks, which is the best trait.
- Slow release nitrogen lawn fertilizer
- Granular fertilizer
- Fertilizer analysis: 6-4-0
- Feeds up to 3 months
- 32 lb. bag covers 2,500 square feet ground
- Keeps feeding for up to 10 weeks
- Non-burning formula
- It includes iron in it’s list of ingredients to ensure a rich, green color of your grass
- It contains calcium that helps encourage growth
- The gradual release of nutrients allows the soil to fully absorb the maximum amount of fertilizer
- The nitrogen in Milorganite grass fertilizer is derived from natural sources unlike most grass fertilizers available on the market
- The formula contains no salts which means it will not dry your soil
- The phosphorus run-off poses a threat to water quality so it is not in the approved list for organic gardening by the Organic Materials Review Institute
- It contains no potassium so cannot do any good for soils with potassium deficiency
The team loved every aspect of the best lawn fertilizer with its enriching results and absolute environment friendly working owing to its slow release that lasts for up to 10 weeks. The result shows slowly but a lush green grass is a guaranteed outcome. However, phosphorus content is an issue but that too is covered by the slow release fertilizer so, they did not find it as an issue.
2. Safer Brand Lawn Restore Fertilizer
Safer brand lawn restore fertilizer is another formula containing ingredients that will not harm the environment. The low phosphorus content ensures a pollution free result that will not harm the children, animals, and other friendly insects.
The safer lawn fertilizer will nourish both cool and warm season grasses to withstand stress and harsh weather conditions. The high nitrogen content will develop strong and thicker roots, and a greener grass.
The organic fertilizer has other essential ingredients to ensure consistent and healthy growth. The slow release formula will give your grass roots enough time to absorb all available nutrients and the nourishment will last for up to 8 weeks.
A 20 pounds bag is capable of covering 5,000 square feet of area that will be effective throughout the year. The best part is its ability to support the population of beneficial organisms in your soil, unlike the chemical fertilizers, to enhance healthy growth of your grass.
- Available in 20 and 25 lb. Bag sizes
- Non-burning fertilizer
- NPK analysis: 9-0-2
- Natural Lawn fertilizer
- Covers up to 5,000 square feet ground
- Produces results in 3-5 days
- Fuels beneficial soil microorganisms
- Granular fertilizer
- Slow release formula
- Stays effective for up to 8 weeks
- It can withstand stressful conditions including heat, cold, and drought due to its ability to strengthen the ground, new seeding, and root systems
- The nitrogen content is highest to ensure a greener lawn but the amount is carefully added to ensure that it does not burn the lawn
- If your soil test shows a deficiency of phosphorus, then this option might not be your answer.
The team observed a positive effect within 2-3 days and a lush green, healthy grass was observed. But the low ratio of phosphorus makes this fertilizer unsuitable for grass deficient in phosphorus.
3. Scotts Turf Builder Weed And Feed
Scotts turf builder does wonders for any grass type during any time of the year with its high content of nitrogen to promote fast growth and healthier roots. The granular fertilizer is slowly released into the soil to ensure high absorption in the grass roots for effective results.
If you own bermuda grass or Kentucky bluegrass, the Scotts WeetGrip formula will best keep these types of grass healthy and green.
The WeetGrip technology grips all the weeds in your ground; remove them, and make space for your grass to grow. Furthermore, it is most powerful to control the growth of dandelion and clover which are not healthy for your grass.
The scotts turf builder covers up to 5,000 square feet of area with its high nitrogen content that best serves to thicken your lawn and give it a refreshing green look. The formula uses all natural ingredients capable of producing results in 12-14 days. The organic fertilizer works for all kinds of grass with its rough and tough formula to give your lawn a refreshing and green look.
- Available in 29 lb. Bag size
- Weedgrip Technology kills all the weeds in your lawn
- NPK analysis: 11-2-2
- Organic fertilizer made from natural ingredients
- Covers up to 5,000 square feet ground
- Produces results in 10-14 days
- Powerful dandelion and clover control formula
- Granular fertilizer
- Slow release formula
- Stays effective for up to 8 weeks
- This formula uses all-natural ingredients so you can use it around pets and small children without worrying
- This OMRI-listed organic lawn fertilizer contains all important nutrients for greener grass growth
- After applying the fertilizer, it leaves off strong, unpleasant smell for a week
The team noticed a greener and healthy lawn within a week with no weeds, dandelions, or clovers. Only issue was the foul smell that lasted for a week but, afterwards, the results were flawless.
4. GreenView Lawn Food
A 48 pounds pack of the GreenView Lawn Food is enough to restore nutrients in the grass of a large lawn area of 15,000 square feet without any compromise. The fertilizer’s NPK ratio is 22-0-4, with maximum nitrogen content and a minimum of phosphorus content, making it an environmentally friendly fertilizer.
When applied, this natural fertilizer keeps feeding nutrients to the ground for 8 long weeks. The large nitrogen content strengthens root growth and creates a refreshing green color in your grass.
The GreenView Lawn Food features both immediate and slow release plans that can be applied anytime the turf is actively growing.
However, care must be taken to avoid burning of your lawn because such a high nitrogen content can be harmful for your grass, so it must be used carefully. The low cost high nitrogen fertilizer helps lawns retain water to protect against drought and is best for most lawns and produces amazing results.
- the 48 pounds pack covers 15,000 sq. ft.
- Keeps feeding for up to 8 weeks
- Strengthen roots
- Features both immediate release and slow-release
- 22-0-4 NPK ratio
- Granular fertilizer
- Causes no harm with its natural formula
- The nil phosphorus content makes it perfect for the states that ban phosphorus fertilizers
- A single bag covers a large area and the price is also inexpensive for the results it produce
- The ratio of nitrogen is high that can burn your lawn if applied in high quantity or unevenly
- It will not be suitable for phosphorus deficient lawns
The team loved how the fertilizer enhanced the overall health of grass and resulted in strong roots with a beautiful green color. The foul smell produced after applying was really disturbing that lasted for a week, but the overall impacts were amazing.
5. Scotts Liquid Turf Builder Lawn Food
Scotts turf builder, as the name implies, is the best lawn fertilizer to boost turf health of your grass. The huge nitrogen content in the liquid fertilizer promotes fast growth and deep green color of your grass.
Scott turf builder fertilizer is effective throughout the year with the NPK ratio of 29:0:3. The minute phosphorus content eliminates any chances of deep water becoming contaminated and thus, the lawn fertilizer is listed in the OMR list.
The slow release of fertilizer ensures proper absorption of all the important nutrients contained in the formula of the lawn fertilizer.
The liquid fertilizer comes with a hose and spray included in it’s package for even and easy application throughout the lawn.
It easily covers 4000 square feet of area and stays effective for 8 weeks so you need not worry about applying the fertilizer for the next few months and cherish the ultimate green color of the grass.
- Effective throughout the year
- 29-0-3 NPK ratio
- 2 lbs. Liquid turf builder lawn food
- Covers 2,000 square feet area
- Keeps working for 8 weeks
- Comes with a hose and spray for even application
- The phosphorus ratio is zero making it an OMR listed organic lawn fertilizer
- The high nitrogen content ensures a healthy and lush green grass with strong root growth
- It is highly safe for children, pets, and environment
- It leaves a strong, unpleasant smell for a week after application owing to high nitrogen content
The team loved the impeccable results of the liquid fertilizer which was really easy to apply. The resulting grass was rich with deep green color and healthy roots. The only problem they pointed out was the foul odor it produced.
6. The Andersons 7-1-2 Innova Organic Fertilizer
The Innova fertilizer is OMRI-listed organic fertilizer and is safe for kids, pets, and the environment. It has limited phosphorus content that lies under international standards.
The ingredients are wholly derived from plants and do not contain biosolids, manure, or animal parts. The naturally derived nutrients can best help in enhancing healthy growth of your lawn’s grass.
The formula contains all possibly required nutrients in a healthy NPK ratio of 7:1:2. The list of nutrients includes nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, carbon, and amino acids; each responsible for making the grass greener.
It is the most impactful among slow release fertilizers owing to the rightful ratio of contents in the formula.
The application method is easy owing to the low-dust, and homogenous granules. It also does not carry any risk of over-application or turf burning and can be safely applied in hot, dry weather. Cherry on top is that it is perfect for all grass types and works throughout the year.
- OMRI-listed organic fertilizer
- 100% plant-derived
- 7:1:2 NPK ratio
- 40 lbs. Bag
- Effective for 5,000 square Feet land
- Perfect for all grass types and climates
- Low-dust, homogeneous granules make application easy
- It does not emit any obnoxious smell
- The lawn fertilizer is safe for use around kids, pets, and environmentally-sensitive waterways
- Inn0va is safe to apply even in hot & dry climate
- Innova doesn’t carry any risk of over-application or turf burning
- It is designed to stimulate healthy soils and plants by supplying a high percentage of highly-digestible carbon
- It emits exhausting smell for a week after application
All members found this formula perfect for the best health of grass. The only problem was the bad smell but overall the result was, well, green.
7. Jonathan Green Winter Survival Fall Fertilizer
Jonathan Green Winter Survival Fall Fertilizer is best for winter grass type, as the name implies. The 45 lb. Size pack size covers up to 15,000 square feet area and it stays effective for 12 weeks owing to its slow release fertilization.
New lawns in cold seasons can have the best of this fall fertilizer. The winter grass requires a different nutrient ratio than other fertilizers available on the market. The Jonathan fall fertilizer is a granular fertilizer having the NPK ratio of 10:0:20. The nitrogen content is fairly high to allow for the best lawn care in winters and a deep green color. The high nitrogen helps repair summer damage by strengthening the grass roots.
The high potassium formula helps promote deep rooting strength and gives your grass the strength it needs to fight off stress, drought, and disease. Potassium helps cool-season grass survive weather changes, such as the frigid cold winter air and the blazing hot sun. Its main benefit is that it aids your grass in fighting off drought, stress, and disease.
Winter Survival provides the nutrients to help boost newly seeded lawns as well as help established lawns grow thicker with deeper roots.
- Granular fertilizer
- 10-0-20 NPK ratio
- Slow release fertilizer
- Effective for up to 12 weeks
- 45 lbs. package size
- Covers up to 15,000 square feet area
- Best for cool season grasses
- It is best lawn fertilizer for growing new cool season grasses
- It promotes root growth in fall and winter season
- Environmental friendly for its low phosphorus quantity
- It is not appropriate for warm season grasses
The team tested the survival fall fertilizer on winter grass types and the results were exactly as the company claims. The impact was quick and clear with no compromise. However, it cannot be used during any other season which is no problem as the formula is specifically designed for winters only.
Things to Consider When Choosing the Best Lawn Fertilizer
Before buying the best fertilizer, it is important to first confirm the specific features of your lawn like the soil type, grass type, yard size, and the climate of your location. Only after getting the best idea of these aspects should you get the suitable lawn fertilizer.
Different lawn fertilizers come in unique sizes, each suitable for different yard sizes. Most fertilizers that are discussed above are suitable for 5000 square feet yard size. Getting the rightful size of package according to your yard’s size will be in your best interest.
Your Lawn’s Soil Test Results
First step before buying a lawn fertilizer is to get your soil tested to figure the deficiencies your lawn may have. Your lawn soil test result will direct you towards getting the most suitable fertilizer that contains the required nutrients.
A fertilizer analysis, or grade, refers to the percentages of nitrogen (as N), phosphorus (as P2O5), and potassium (as K2O) in the fertilizer. A 7:1:2 grade fertilizer contains 7 percent N, 1 percent phosphorus, and 2 percent potassium. It is also known as the NPK ratio.
Type of Fertilizer
Organic fertilizers typically cost more than their synthetic counterparts and may take longer to give you the lush lawn you’re looking for, but they provide several advantages for the environment and your lawn’s health. The nutrients used in organic fertilizers are eco-friendly and do not cause any harm to children and other inhabitants of your home.
What Is Lawn Fertilizer?
Lawn fertilizers contain a specified ratio of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium for best health of your lawn grass also called NPK ratio. These are used at times when grass needs nourishment and the lawn fertilizers do the wonders for a beautiful and healthy lawn grass.
How Often Should You Fertilize Your Lawn?
It is recommended to use fertilizers at least 5-6 times per year. It highly depends on the landscape, type of soil, and the type of grass you have at your home. For instance, cool season grasses can be fertilized in late spring, but only if necessary.
What Is the Best Ratio for Lawn Fertilizer?
The recommended NPK ratios for lawn fertilizers are 3:1:2 or 4:1:2. But, every lawn is unique and evaluating your soil with an accurate soil test kit is the best way to understand exactly what your lawn needs.
Keeping a lawn green and healthy is best possible with the use of lawn fertilizers. The yellowing of your grass always happens because of specific deficiencies in the soil.
One lawn’s needs will vary from another’s for a variety of reasons, from different grass types to rainfall to erosion to nutrient deficiencies in the soil. To find out the problem in your lawn, you should get your lawn’s soil tested and accordingly, choose the most suitable fertilizer as discussed above.
Lawn fertilizers will not only give a lush green color to your grass but will also support the growth of beneficial microorganisms.
These fertilizers contain high amounts of phosphorus to help the new grass establish strong roots. If you’re spreading grass seed or laying new sod, you want a starter fertilizer.
Fertilizers are also capable of removing weeds and pests that may inhibit the healthy growth of your grass. Fertilizers are known for nitrogen content which is a must for strong roots of your grass. So, fertilizers have everything your grass could ever need, so bring one for your lawn’s health.